Those lovely people at StudioCanal have provided Cathode Ray Tube with three copies of The Wicker Man - Final Cut 40th Anniversary Blu-Ray to give away in our latest competition.
The Wicker Man, described by Cinefantastique as 'the Citizen Kane of horror movies' and by Empire as 'the best British horror film ever made' has recently returned to cinemas and home entertainment release in a 'final cut' approved by director Robin Hardy. It is a unique, iconoclastic and richly layered film experience.
When a young girl mysteriously disappears on a remote Scottish island, devout Christian Police Sergeant Howie (Edward Woodward) travels there to investigate. He finds a close-knit and secretive pastoral community living on an island paradise, ruled over by mysterious Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee), with beliefs very much at odds with his puritanism.
The islanders mock Howie's attempts to question them about the girl's disappearance, and put the very foundations of his faith to the test. He begins to fear that the fate of the girl could be linked to the islanders' failing crops and their belief that only a sacrifice of the highest order will change their luck. As May Day festivities intensify and the islanders' behaviour becomes more frenzied, Howie's quest to save the girl becomes a race against time…
Brilliantly scripted by Anthony Shaffer (Sleuth, Frenzy) and featuring a career-best performance by the legendary Christopher Lee, director Robin Hardy’s atmospheric use of location, unsettling imagery and haunting soundtrack gradually builds to one of the most terrifying and iconic climaxes in modern cinema. Cathode Ray Tube's full review of the film can be found here. Warning, if you haven't yet seen The Wicker Man, it does contain spoilers.
Released on 14 October, this Blu-Ray and DVD release contains all three cuts of the film and a host of special features. And three copies are now up for grabs!
- - This competition is open to residents of the UK only but not to employees of Studiocanal or their agents.
- - Entries must be received by midnight GMT on Monday 14th October 2013
- - This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and no cash alternative is available.
- - No responsibility will be accepted for delayed, mislaid, lost or damaged entries whether due to system error or otherwise.
- - Only one entry per visitor per day. No multiple entries allowed.
- - The winners will be the first entries with the correct answer drawn at random.
- - The winners will be contacted by email. The BDs will be posted one week after the competition closes (unless delayed by postal strikes).
- - The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- - Entrants are deemed to accept and be bound by these rules and entries that are not in accordance with the rules will be disqualified.
- - By entering the free prize draw, entrants agree to be bound by any other requirements set out on this website. Entry is via email to email@example.com. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received, only partially received or delayed for whatever reason. Paper entries are not valid.
Email your answer to the question above, with your name and address, and we'll enter you into the prize draw.