The Cruel Sea (1953) is Charles Frend's gripping adaptation of Nicholas Monsarrat's novel depicting the lives of a group of Royal Navy sailors fighting the Battle of the Atlantic during World II, starring Jack Hawkins and Donald Sinden. The classic Ice Cold in Alex (1958), with John Mills, Anthony Quayle, Harry Andrews and Sylvia Syms is the story of an ambulance crew enduring the harsh North African deserts on their retreat from Tobruk. Finally, Sam Peckinpah's Cross of Iron (1977) views the bitter end of the German campaign against Russian forces in 1943 via the class conflict between a newly-arrived, aristocratic Prussian officer, played by Maximillan Schell, and James Coburn's cynical, battled-hardened infantry NCO.
Full reviews of all three films can be read HERE.
COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED - congratulations to the winner Salam Ramzan
Cathode Ray Tube is offering these three beautifully restored films in high definition to one lucky winner courtesy of Optimum Home Entertainment.
- - This competition is open to residents of the UK only but not to employees of Optimum Home Entertainment or their agents. Entrants must be 18 years of age and over.
- - Entries must be received by midnight GMT on Wednesday 15th June 2011
- - This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and no cash alternative is available.
- - No responsibility will be accepted for delayed, mislaid, lost or damaged entries whether due to system error or otherwise.
- - Only one entry per visitor per day. No multiple entries allowed.
- - The winner will be the first entries with the correct answer drawn at random.
- - The winner will be contacted by email. The Blu-rays will be posted one week after the competition closes (unless delayed by postal strikes).
- - The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- - Entrants are deemed to accept and be bound by these rules and entries that are not in accordance with the rules will be disqualified.
- - By entering the free prize draw, entrants agree to be bound by any other requirements set out on this website. Entry is only available online using the form below or via email to email@example.com. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received, only partially received or delayed for whatever reason. Paper entries are not valid