Congratulations to our winner Thomas Mills!
To celebrate the publication today of my new book Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens - Exploring the Worlds of the Eleventh Doctor, I'm offering not only a copy of the book but also a copy of Silva Screen's Doctor Who Series 5 soundtrack album, featuring Murray Gold's fantastic music, in the latest competition on the blog.
My book, published by Classic TV Press:
"reviews the relevant episodes of Series 5 of Doctor Who and looks at the series's character development, major themes, the use of design and music, references to previous episodes and the original series. The spine of each chapter is about themes and characters and that's where a lot of the research is included. So, I bring in cultural, literary, political, sociological and psychoanalytical material to inform my views of the episodes. Anyone who is interested in what the episodes mean on many different levels will I hope find the book fascinating"
|Image ©Scott Frankton|
To get a taster for the book you can read an exclusive extract from the Classic TV Press website together with an interview that sheds some light on the writing process and the series itself. I will also be signing copies this week in London and Manchester. Dates and times are as follows:
11th December, 1.00-4.00pm @ The Who Shop, 39-41 Barking Road, Upton Park, London. I'll be in the fabulous company of Bob Baker - Doctor Who writer (The Claws of Axos, The Three Doctors etc) and K9 co-creator.
13th December, 6.30-8.00pm @ Blackwell University Bookshop, Precinct Centre, Oxford Road, Manchester
You also have an opportunity to win a copy of the Series 5 soundtrack album, featuring Murray Gold's superb music, including his memorable new themes for the Doctor and Amy Pond as well as major selections of music from The Eleventh Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger and The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang.
This two-disc set once again reveals the complex melodies and themes that Gold brings to the series and that often only gain a fuller appreciation outside of the busy sound mix of the television episodes. The Series 5 soundtrack is one of the strongest and most consistent of the album releases to date featuring the BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Ben Foster.
|(Thanks to Steve Haywood for donating the soundtrack as a prize)|
- This competition is open to residents of the UK only, but not to employees of Classic TV Press and Silva Screen Records or their agents.
- Entries must be received by midnight GMT on Sunday 12th December 2010
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and no cash alternative is available.
- No responsibility will be accepted for delayed, mislaid, lost or damaged entries whether due to system error or otherwise.
- Only one entry per visitor per day. No multiple entries allowed.
- The winner will be the first entry drawn at random.
- The winner will be contacted by email. The prize will be posted within 5 days of the competition closing (unless delayed by postal strikes).
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entrants are deemed to accept and be bound by these rules and entries that are not in accordance with the rules will be disqualified.
- By entering the free prize draw, entrants agree to be bound by any other requirements set out on this website. Entry is only available online or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received, only partially received or delayed for whatever reason. Paper entries are not valid.